Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pulled Pork Sliders and Spicy Slaw


Football Season-ahhhh. Few things make me as happy as pulling into Clemson University for a football game. To say I’m “All In” is an understatement. Will and I have season tickets and couldn’t imagine a year going by without traveling to Clemson for the games. I could go on and on about it but I won’t. (I’ll spare you- particularly you Carolina fans) We’re here about the food- tailgating food. There’s nothing healthy about it and I love it. It’s one day where calories just don’t count! From drinks to dips, sandwiches, pimento cheese, ham biscuits, chick-fil-a trays, burgers, hot dogs and more drinks!

My favorite tailgating partner for the next
50 years! Kaley is always making great
food for our tailgate

So much fun catching up



Clemson played Louisville this past weekend and a lot of people were in town for the game so I wanted to make a gameday favorite. I made these BBQ sandwiches two years ago and they were a big hit. They’re also something that I could prepare ahead of time- driving from Charleston, this is crucial. All I had to do Saturday morning was put the bbq, sauce and slaw on the bun- boom! Deliciousness!



Will, me, Lindsay, my younger sister
and her boyfriend, Adam
My older sister, Carolyn and my
nephew, Camden - it was his
first Clemson game!







Ingredients for the dry rub
The cooked pork shoulder

2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt

1 (5 to 7 pound) pork shoulder

2 bottles of the BBQ sauce of your choice – I use Melvins yellow mustard sauce frequently

2 packages of King Hawaiian Rolls- slider size

Ingredients for the spicy cole slaw

1 bag of coleslaw mix
4 green onions
1 – 1 ½ cups of mayonnaise
¼ cup of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 lemon, juiced
Pinch of sugar
½ teaspoon celery seed
Several dashes of hot sauce to your liking
Salt and Pepper to taste



Directions

1. Mix all of the dry ingredients and rub them all over the pork shoulder- place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the flavors to soak into the meat (YUM!)

2. You can cook this in the crock-pot, which is what I usually do- you will place the pork shoulder in the crock pot with 1 bottle of sauce and cook it on LOW for 6-7 hours

Will just got a new grill and wanted to smoke the pork 
shoulder so he did so overnight (if you have this option, take it!)

3.  Make your coleslaw while your pork is cooking- I would suggest mixing the green onions and coleslaw mix in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the Dijon mustard, mayonnaise (I start with one cup and make the coleslaw and add more as needed- I don’t like too much mayo!), cider vinegar, lemon juice and sugar. Pour over the coleslaw mixture and toss. Add the ½ tsp of celery seed and hot sauce, salt and pepper to your liking. Allow the slaw to sit for at least three hours and chill in the fridge

4.  After 6 hours check on the pork in the crock pot, once cooked through, shred with a fork allowing the meat to mix with the juices at the bottom of the crock pot (discard fatty pieces and I usually get rid of some of the juice)



Spicy Coleslaw ingredients all ready to be mixed up!









I like to place the pork with 
slaw inside of a King's Hawaiian Roll- AH-MAZING! ENJOY!





The finished product at the tailgate with all of the
other tailgate snacks










FYI note: with this recipe, I had left over coleslaw and BBQ so that turned into Sunday’s dinner to top off a healthy weekend ;)

2 comments: