Monday, October 6, 2014

The Daily



This weekend couldn't have been more gorgeous! My husband, Will and I woke up Saturday morning, took our dog, Loosey for a walk, and then decided to hop on our bikes and ride over to The Daily for some breakfast.


The Daily is a market/eatery that is a sister restaurant to Butcher & Bee (also amazing if you haven't been- posts on it in the future). I had not been here yet but my husband had been by before work a couple of weeks ago. He brought me home a delicious watermelon and chai seed juice which reminded me of the fresh watermelon juice from our trip to Bali. Needless to say, due to the relation to Butcher & Bee and the juice I had, I was excited to finally try it out.





The inside is very eclectic with many specialty grocery items such as house-made jams, mustards and other accoutrement. They also sell coffee, wine and beer (plus they have beer growlers you can take home!) on a shelf in the corner. Fresh daily breads and pastries are displayed on platters for your selection and although we didn't indulge in any, they looked amazing. 

The menus are displayed on the counter top. 



Two things you'll notice right away: there is no cash register. Like the Apple store, someone will take your order with an iPad; and two, there is no seating. This seems odd at first but we stood to eat our breakfast and I rather enjoyed the experience. It reminded us of being in Italy casually sipping an espresso with a croissant. The area to stand and eat is next to the food prep/cooking station which was really nice because we were able to interact with the chefs. The Daily is going for a "grab and go" kind of place and I believe they executed it perfectly.  


Ok, my favorite part- the food! I was honestly impressed. I knew it was going to be delicious but it was even better than I expected. 

Will got the bacon breakfast sandwich: bacon, pimento cheese, fried egg, smoked onion jam on a homemade english muffin. The jam really shined through and made this sandwich different than your average bacon and egg sammy. 
I ordered the fried egg sandwich: fried egg, fontina, Harissa ketchup, bangin' relish and fresh homemade sourdough. Wow. The Harissa ketchup was the perfect addition to this sandwich. It gave it some heat and made the sandwich unique. That is actually how I would describe our meal- unique, exactly what I was looking for. 
We also got the avocado toast (which I have been LOVING all summer), and theirs was good. They put an heirloom tomato with olive oil, salt, cracked pepper, oregano (I believe) and olive oil. It was a little heavy on the olive oil, but it was delicious, and that tomato was spot on. 



Lastly, Will has really gotten into cold brew coffee. First it was french press, now it's cold brew. He first had it at Black Tap Coffee about two years ago and has been making it at home since. The Daily uses Stumptown Coffee based out of Portland, and it was definitely one of the better cups we've had around Charleston. I actually don't like coffee but I will always try Will's. 

I ordered the Super Green Smoothie, which I actually brought home and had for lunch because I was so full. Normally the sandwiches would be enough for breakfast but I couldn't leave without trying one of their smoothies. Nothing more to say than it was absolutely delicious. The sweetness of the coconut and apple balanced the bitterness of the kale without overpowering it. I will be going back regularly for their juices.




One last thing I must point out, customer service. I cannot say enough great things about the staff at The Daily. Everyone was so attentive and genuinely seemed to care that we had a good experience. We were asked by multiple staffers how the food was and when I inquired about what they were making I got an in detail answer of the recipe, which I was not expecting. 

Here is the link to the restaurant if you want to check it out http://www.shopthedaily.com and I highly recommend that you do. If you head there soon, we might just run into each other because this place has quickly climbed to the top of my "go-to" list.

The Daily on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment